To get started with a new Map simply, click on the New button.
2. The Create Map Panel will appear. You could create and view a map immediately by entering a Map Name and clicking Save. For more options, click the Advanced button.
3. This will open the Map Configuration Page. The Map Configuration Page features a number of different options to help set your Map up. These include:
- Map ID - this is an identifier which is unique to your Map. The Map ID is auto generated for every Map you create and is displayed next to every Map in the Map Portal.
- Map Name - use this space to enter a name for the Map you are about to create. Maps can be named anything you like, up to 69 characters in length, but try to chose a name that is memorable and relevant to the Map you are creating. This will enable you find the Map quickly and easily in the Map Portal.
- Map Description - use this space to enter a description for your Map. This section is entirely optional, but it could be used to provide additional information which describes the contents of the Map in more detail than possible in Map Name space. The map description will be displayed alongside the Map ID and Map Name in the Map Portal.
- Map Display Projection - the projection for your new Map is by default set to ESPG:3857. To change the projection, click on the search icon and type in the name of your desired projection. This will generate a list of projections with similar names. To confirm the change, simply click on the name of your chosen projection. N.B. Please choose your Map Projection carefully as this cannot be changed once your Map has been created.
- Public Map - selecting this option will make your Map shareable and can be viewed outside of your account. This option is useful should you wish to embed your Map on a website or share it with a team member. If you wish to keep your Map private and only viewable by yourself, make sure to leave the option un-ticked.
4. Once you have entered the details for your Map, you can configure the Toolbar that will appear above your Map. This enables you to choose the tools you wish to be accessible when editing your Map. If your Map is to be made available to the public, it is also possible to turn the toolbar OFF. To turn the entire toolbar OFF, simply click on the Show Toolbar option. Turning the toolbar off will enable a Map to be viewed but not edited.
5. To configure the individual tools that will appear on the Map toolbar, simply click the tool you wish to turn ON or OFF. It is also possible to turn all tools within a group ON or OFF by clicking on the Group Name. Tools which have been turned ON or OFF can be easily identified by looking to see if the individual icon is in bold or greyed out. An example of this can be viewed below:
N.B. Tools can be turned on or off even after the Map has been created, unless the toolbar has been turned off completely. In this instance, only the owner of the Map can turn the toolbar back on from within the Map Portal.
For further information on the role of each individual Tool and how to use them, please refer to the AziMap Tools and AziMap Advanced Features sections of this user guide.
6. Once you are happy with the details of your Map and the configuration of the Toolbar, the Map can be saved. To do this click the Save button underneath the Map Toolbar Configuration section. Your saved Map will now appear in the Map Portal.
7. When the Map has been saved, you will be presented with a message saying that your new Map has no layers. To learn how to create a new Layer for your Map visit the Creating a Layer section of the user guide or to add an existing Layer to your Map, see the Select Map Layers section of the user guide.
8. To view the Map you have just created, click the View Map button at the bottom of the page.